Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Cupcake Tuesday-Molasses Cupcakes



These cupcakes may seem strikingly similar to my post about Oatmeal Cream Pie Cupcakes, but they are not the same, just slightly similar.

Certain things happen when I decide to not go to grocery store to buy more ingredients.  Things get interesting when I make myself make-do with what I have.  I've recently moved and decided to do just this.  I had all the basics just nothing fancy.  I did have molasses, and I did have brown sugar so I went for it.

I took my base recipe and replaced some of the sugar with molasses and adding a touch more flour.  Easy as that.

Here we go.

Molasses Cupcakes

2 sticks butter

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup molasses

vanilla

2 eggs

2 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon cinnamon

salt

1 cup sour cream

Preheat the oven to 350.

Start with some room temperature butter and give it a nice beating with a mixer.  Add the sugar, molasses and vanilla and mix until fluffy.

Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until well incorporated.

In a small bowl add the flour and the baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Start by adding 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.  The add 1/2 cup of sour cream.  Add another third of the dry ingredients followed by the last half off the sour cream.  Finally, add in the last third of the dry ingredients  and mix until just incorporated.

Scrape down your sides to make sure everything is in there and give it all one last mix.

Using a 2 oz. ice cream scoop or spoons, scoop the cupcakes into two lined pans.

Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool.

Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting

adapted from Joy The Baker

2 8 oz blocks room temperature cream cheese

1 stick butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

3-4 cups powdered sugar

In a medium bowl add the cream cheese and the butter and mix until slightly fluffy.  Add the brown sugar in and continue to mix until smooth.

Once the mixture has smoothed out slowly add in powdered sugar until the frosting has a stiff consistency, you want the frosting to be able to stand up.

Scoop the frosting into a piping bag (mine was fitted with a large, round tip).

Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and do not hesitate to enjoy!

2 comments:

Every comment makes me smile. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...