Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Apple Bread

This is a great recipe, I was able to make it with ingredients I have around my house (it's just standard baking stuff and some applesauce, which I always have around, exclusively for baking because applesauce is gross awesome for baking.)


Considering that fall is still in full swing, I am loving baking with spices!  This is the time of year when I plan on making apple bread and realize that I'm out of nutmeg (and then wonder if "normal" people have this issue as often as I do.)  It has such a warm feel to it and it just makes my heart smile!

I always try to keep cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice in my pantry.  They are great together when baking with pumpkin or apple, or you can use just ginger and cinnamon when baking with molasses, they are all around spices!

So let's get going on this bread, we gotta get it in the oven! (PS don't start making this at 10 pm when you have to be at work at 8:30, you will be made at yourself.)

Apple Bread 
Adapted from My Baking Addiction
makes 1 loaf

1 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ginger

1/2 of a granny smith apple

Preheat oven to 350.

In the bowl of your mixer add the applesauce, eggs, vegetable oil, water, vanilla and sugar.  Mix these  on medium-high until just starting to thicken.

In a small bowl mix together your flour, baking soda, salt and spices.  Turn the mixer to low and add in about half of the dry ingredients.  Allow to incorporate and add the remaining flour mixture.  Mix until just incorporated.

Scrape down your sides.

Spray a loaf pan with pan spray, I use a spray that contains flour, but if you don't have that then you should also flour the pan.

Pour the batter into the pan.


Cut the granny smith apple into wedges, making them as thin as possible.  Then toss these with about a tablespoon of sugar, a tablespoon of flour, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg.  

Lay the slices on top of the batter, making whatever design you would like.


Put into the preheat oven and allow to bake for 60-70 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment makes me smile. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...