Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Baking for love

So I bake a lot (in case you haven't been paying attention), and most of the time I love it, but there are days where it's not my favorite thing to be doing. Days when I would rather just lay around and watch TV, days when I wish I wasn't "the baker."

Friday was one of those days. I left work, went to dinner with a friend and then headed to the grocery store to gather ingredients. I wanted some festive Christmas cupcake liners but the grocery store didn't have any (side note: WHY NOT!?!). It was quite a situation that was happening. I needed sprinkles and festive liners, so I headed to Target.

At Target I learned that they didn't have the sprinkles that I have bought for my entire life! My variety pack of Christmas sprinkles now came with blue and white sugar instead of red and green. I was getting grumpy about the whole situation, and I hadn't even started baking yet!

When I finally get home I'm dreading the baking, I don't want to have to deal with it, I just want to curl up in a ball and watch TV. In the end it only takes me 45 minutes to bake off 36 cupcakes and make three colors of frosting. At this point my begrudging attitude seemed a little silly. I wrapped everything up and called it a night.


The next morning I got up and gathered all of my baking from the night before and loaded everything in my car. I went to my church office and started setting up. I put the frosting in several bowls, shook my blue and white sprinkles into bowls and then everything changed. My favorite little girl showed up, and she decorated a cupcake with a huge smile on her face.


My church puts on a camp with an organization called Royal Family. Every year we take 24 kids from the foster care system to the mountains and give them a week of camp, plain and simple. They're some of the greatest kids you will meet. Then, around Christmas time we throw them a Christmas party, and I bring cupcakes and frosting and sprinkles for them to decorate, and it's always worth it.


My heart was overwhelmed on Saturday, these kids are so joyful, so deserving of love. Sometimes I get grumpy about baking, but when the result is like this, it's always worth it.

Love,
Keely

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment makes me smile. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...